For more information, visit the Tourism Association Hochsteiermark and the municipality of Kindberg at www.kindberg.at.
Details about Georgiberg Church can be found at www.georgiberg.at.
A brief history of the Georgiberg Church: The Georgiberg Church towers over a rocky hill in the western part of Kindberg, overlooking the Mürztal valley. The first documented mention of the church dates back to 1232, when it was already referred to as the older church compared to the parish church. It served as the house of worship for the local "Dörfl" (small village). Positioned on the hill, it was considered closer to God, and those buried in the churchyard were thought to be near to the divine.
A votive stone found in the church, dating back to the Roman period, is the only one of its kind in the Mürzzuschlag district. It depicts a child—a girl wearing Norican attire—and is believed to be the origin of the hill’s name, Kindberg.
Later, when this apparent pagan depiction was recognized as such, the hill was renamed after the patron saint of the church, St. George. The St. George patronage further suggests that the site was once an ancient place of worship. Many sensitive individuals continue to confirm the special aura of this location.
Guided tours can be booked directly through the Georgibergverein at office@georgiberg.at